+34 690 108 842



visados12393793 xl

Preliminary note to consider

  • The student visa application is always sent to the Spanish consulates in the country of origin. Never in Spain.
  • Students coming from EU member countries do not need a student visa. However, if your stay in Spain is longer than three months, you will need to register yourself as a citizen of the union at the immigration office which corresponds to your country of origin.
  • The visa is not necessary if you want to do a course of a duration of less than 12 weeks (3 months) for pupils from the following countries: Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Cyprus, South Korea, Croatia, Slovakia, Slovenia, United States, Estonia, Hungary, Israel, Japan, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Poland, Czech Republic, San Marino, Singapore and Switzerland.

If you do not have a passport for any of the countries mentioned previously and your Spanish course is of duration of greater than 12 weeks (3 months) please read the following advice carefully

Necessary information for applying for a visa 

  1. Consult your embassy or local Spanish consulates, preferably 120 days before departing (at least 60 days before) about the requirements for obtaining a student visa.
  2. Enrol on S4F – Spanish for Foreigners – [to guarantee the visa your local embassy will ask you to confirm that the cost of your course and accommodation have been paid in full.]
  3. S4F will send you the Certificate of Registration (the letter of invitation to study) by priority mail (FedEx or DHL) on the same day (as well as an immediate copy via email). 

The frequent requirements to obtain a student visa for Spain

  • A passport which is valid for at least 120 days before it expires.
  • The completed visa application form.
  • Certificate of Registration.
  • Accreditation of economic resources (documentation which proves that you have at your disposal sufficient financial resources to live in Spain).
  • A private insurance policy.
  • Confirmation of the details of your accommodation whilst you’re in Spain (facilitated by S4F)
  • Confirmation from S4F that the course and accommodation have been paid in full.
  • IF THE STUDIES EXCEED 6 MONTHS: Certificate of criminal record of the applicant and accompanying family members (over 18 years) when the stay for studies exceeds 6 months, issued by the competent authority of the country or countries where the applicant has resided during the last five years.
  • In the case of students who are minors and are not accompanied by their parents, their authorisation will be necessary for the move to Spain and in order to carry out the studies. 

NOT LIABLE: the rules and regulations for study visas for Spain change constantly. At AIL Madrid we do all that we can to keep up to date with these changes, but we cannot guarantee that the information we provide you with is totally correct and complete. We are not liable, therefore, for your visa application and we strongly recommend that you contact the Spanish embassy or the local consulate as soon as possible to find out all the requirements of your country in order to have all the documentation on time. 


The student is responsible for the whole visa application process; S4F is not culpable if the application is rejected. If the student needs a confirmation letter from the school in order to apply for the visa, S4F will send the letter after receiving the amount to pay for tuition and administrative fees. This letter certifies that you are registered on the Spanish course and the name, type of course, dates of study, address of assigned accommodation and payment made feature in it. It is signed by the S4F Company Director.  

If the student cannot attend the Spanish course due to visa rejection, they will not obtain the amount paid for tuition and administrative fees. They will have to send the original official rejection letter to the office of the S4F school at least 30 days before the start of the Spanish course 

Our advice is to begin the process of enrolment at least 3 months before the start of the course in order to have enough time to obtain the visa.

Frequently asked questions about visas

Can relatives of foreign students come to Spain? 

Yes, but for this they will need to obtain the corresponding visa. 

How long does a visa application take to be processed? 

The maximum processing time for a visa application is three months. If you are summoned to present additional documentation or to have a personal interview, the process does not continue until this has been carried out.

If I’m in Spain whilst my visa is being processed, how can I know whether it has been granted?

You can contact the General Directorate of Consulate Affairs personally (C/General

Pardiñas, 55 de Madrid) or call 0034 91379 1605 or 0034 91379 16-07. 

How long do I have to collect the visa once it has been granted to me? 

Two months from the point at which the Consulate notifies you. 

If they deny me a visa, can I appeal? 

The denial of student visas need not be justified, so appeal is not necessary if it is for this reason. 

Can someone else collect the visa on my behalf? 

No, you must collect the visa in person 

Once I have the visa, can they deny me entry at the Spanish border?

Yes, because the visa only allows you to present yourself at the border and request entry. 

If I have my visa or stamp to enter Spain as a tourist in my passport, can I travel freely within the other countries of the European Union? 

You must inform the Spanish police of any journey abroad which you wish to carry out from Spain by going to the nearest police station.  

What must I do when I arrive in Spain? 

During your first month in Spain you must apply for a Student Card in the Foreign Office or Police Station of the area where you are going to carry out the Spanish course and you must present the document required by the Foreign Office.  

What documentation will the Foreign Office ask me for in order to obtain the Student Card? 

You must fulfil all the requirements for entry and stay in Spain, including the visa to undertake and extend studies. In the case of students who are minors and are not accompanied by their parents, the authorisation of these will be necessary. 

Can I extend the time of my visa or stamp of stay? 

Yes, you can ask for an extension of stay for studies provided that the initial stay is for longer than 6 months. The extension can be for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of a year. You must apply during the 60 days prior to the expiration date of the Student Card.